Monday, March 17, 2008

Let's Get Physical

Well I thought I would blog about my strive to get into shape and be healthier.

As everyone probably does, come the first of every year we jump on the bandwagon of working out right? Then come February or March…I’m done for whatever reason that year. It’s usually mid February for me because that’s when my birthday is. I usually drink bad and eat bad. You are supposed to for your birthday right??

Well this summer is my 20 year reunion so that is my motivation! My goal is to lose about 35 pounds by July 1st. I joined a gym mid January with a friend of mine, Tina and her husband. We had talked about doing it the prior year but of course never got around to it. I work from home now so I have more flexibility in my schedule so I thought this would be a great time to do it and no excuses!

What I have been doing is getting the kids off to school in the mornings then heading to the gym. I usually do 30-45 minutes on the treadmill then home to work. I had been trying to go every evening as well but that’s not always a possibility so at least I get some cardio in each morning. I have been getting frustrated because I haven’t been losing weight like I thought I would. I think I have been working out too much and not eating enough, as odd as that sounds.

I talked to my trainer a few weeks ago and she told Tina and I about a contest that one of the other trainers is going to do. It is like a Biggest Loser challenge! Teams of two will compete in an 8 week program to see who can lose the most! I know my Tina and I won't win because we really don't have THAT much weight to lose, probably 60 lbs between the two of us and I am sure there will be others there that want to lose more but I guess we will wait and see!! We picked Blue for our team color so I guess I better start researching how Trainer Bob from the Biggest Loser show trains so I can support his blue team LOL

The contest started on March 4th and will run through April 29th. There are 26 teams of 2!! We weigh in once a week (either on Monday or Tuesday). The challenge workout class is on Tuesday nights. They are not posting pounds lost but percentage lost. For week 1, I lost 4.5 lbs and Tina lost 1.5 lbs. We weren’t the biggest loser for the week but we were at the higher end, there were lots of teams who lost a smaller percentage than us. We found out there was a 156 lbs total weight loss for everyone in week one. That is pretty amazing!!

Tina and I are meeting with a trainer every Thursday night as well. We've had some great and painful workouts but it's so worth it. I can't wait to see the end results!!! I hope I achieve my goal but if not, I've lost 8 lbs in 8 weeks and I'm really happy with what I've seen so far....just gotta keep on it and keep moving forward. I am kind of additcted to working out now which is a good thing. If I miss a day, I feel guilty. I'm not obsessed with it but I do have it in my routine and try to make it a daily task!

No comments: