Friday, December 12, 2008

My Good Deed for the Day

As I was getting ready to get in the car to take Miranda to school, I saw a dog running around on the next block over and thought...awe poor thing!

So I drop her off, hit Walmart and come home. As I am pulling in, I see the dog across the street at the church 'greeting' people as they were dropping kids off for daycare. I called for the dog and it gladly came running over. It was the sweetest thing! It had a name and number on it's tag so I tried calling it over and over and got no answer. The dog's name is Shooter. So I called the police non emergency number and asked what I should do. They said they would send animal control over to get the dog then would keep trying the number.

Then I saw the rabies tag on the collar and it was from my vet's office so I called there and explained what was going on and asked if there was an alternate number. The gal said there wasn't but told me who the owner was and sure enough, I knew her! She was Kyler's 4th grade teacher (again, love small towns). So I called the school and explained everything to the secretary and asked if I could talk to her. She said that she was out of town...crud. But then said she could call the husband for me and give him my number...GREAT!

A few minutes later he called and was happy to hear I had Shooter. I guess Shooter had been kenneled all day yesterday and when he got home at 10pm to let him out, Shooter just took off running and didn't stop. So Shooter has been on the go for almost 12 hours. They live probably 3 miles from my house too! He told me his niece would be over to get the doggy so as we waited I got Shooter some water and calmed him down, he was just leaning on me and was so relaxed he almost fell asleep. Poor baby! She came and he was SO happy!!

I am way too much of an animal lover to just let an animal run so if I can, I will always try to catch it and do my best to get it home safely!

Of course I had to snap a picture of him as we waited :)


10 comments:

Jess said...

Aweeee, thats so sweet. Your such a good doggy mommy. :)

Brandy said...

You're such a nice neighbor! I'll bet they were relieved to have Shooter back.

Unknown said...

Good for you!!!! Who knows what could have happened had you not intervened!!!

Amy said...

Way to go. I am always nervous to see dogs running in the street.

Lump said...

awwww how awesome! so glad you found the owner! :)

saratogajean said...

Look at the legs on that guy!

Frizzy said...

My husband and I have rescued quite a few dogs/cats this way. Hate to see them lost and to think of what might happen to them. You are a beautiful lady! It says a lot about a person who loves animals.

jmt said...

That's very sweet of you. :) Good deed, indeed!

Monica said...

To lose a dog is hearbreaking, glad you were able to find the owner!

Wep said...

From someone who's lost a dog, YAY YOU for helping :)